Friday, December 28, 2012

Vichyssoise (leek and potato soup)

This was a beautiful pot of soup. Shared with friends...verdict: creamy!

Nice lookin' potatoes.
Chopped up and soaking in cold water.
A big bunch of leeks - sometimes I get lucky in Korea and score some useful ingredients for a good price. I think these were around $1.40.
Close-up...
Onions and garlic - I wanted to make my own broth, because my neighbor is a vegetarian, so I didn't use chicken stock, as most people do when they make vichyssoise. 
Leeks all chopped up and ready to go. I use a lot of the green parts as well; though the soup doesn't look as white, they add a great deal of flavor, and I don't feel guilty for wasting food.
On the way to a nice broth - browning onions and garlic in a big mess of melted butter.

The finished product. I missed a few steps with the camera, but you can use your imagination to fill in the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment